Spirituality, mysticism and art come together in the wealth of beautiful churches and cathedrals found everywhere in the Lake Maggiore area.
Many of these buildings have immense cultural and historical value.
- Some not to be missed are the ancient church in the village of Carmine Superiore near Cannobio, high on a cliff looking directly over Lake Maggiore;
- the Walser church in Macugnaga near the seven-hundred year old Lime Tree;
- the beautiful church of Saints Gervasio and Protasio in Domodossola, built on the ruins of an earlier Romanesque Church;
- the parish church of Ghemme in the Novara hills area with its splendid Baroque facade.
Some of the churches are santuari or shrines, places of pilgrimage associated with a miracle,
- The Sanctuary of the Madonna del Boden, situated at 475 mabove sealevel outside Ornavasso;
- The Church of San Gaudenzio in Baceno has recently been declared a national monument and towers over the Orrido at Silogno;
- The Sanctuary at Re which owes its importance to the affresco of the Madonna that ran with blood in 1494;
- the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Sasso which overlooks Lake Orta:
Another “must” is a visit to the Sacro Monte devotional complexes in Domodossola, Ghiffa and Orta San Giulio, UNESCO World Heritage sites all built in commanding hilltop situations with wonderful views.
- The Sacro Monte at Varallo contains a basilica and about 45 chapels, dating mostly from the 15th and 16th centuries.;
- The Sacro Monte di Oropa, The statue of the Black Madonna, brought to the Sanctuary in the 4th century, is kept in the church and is an important pilgrimage centre, whilst the 19 chapels represent the life of the Virgin Mary.
To look through for more information